Let’s face it:
The world can be a dangerous place.
It’s estimated that there have been about 1.2 million violent crimes in the U.S. just in the last year alone. With statistics like these, it’s no wonder the popularity of non lethal self defense weapons has recently exploded!
Nobody expects to be the victim of an attack, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. When it does, you’ll want to be prepared. In this article, I’ll discuss non-lethal weapons. In particular, we’ll talk about the best electroshock type weapon to buy for self defense.
Don’t have time to read the whole thing? Check out my top electric shock device, the Taser Bolt, on Amazon.
The best electric shock device to buy for self defense
With so many options, it can be difficult to know exactly which electroshock weapon is right for you.
To help you out, I’ve reviewed my favorite electroshock devices here:
★ OUR #1 PICK! ★
|Click for price||
★ OUR #1 PICK! ★
|Click for price||
★ BUDGET PICK! ★
|Click for price||
★ BUDGET PICK! ★
My top pick – The Taser Bolt
The Taser Bolt stands out to me as the best non lethal weapon for self defense. Its solid build, conscientious design, and reliability all serve to establish it as the best in its class.
- It offers a 15 foot safety range between you and your target.
- It shoots on a 30 second cycle time, ensuring your attacker is incapacitated long enough for you to escape.
- At only .33 lbs, it’s light enough and small enough to carry around in a purse or pocket.
- It comes with a practice target so that you can get used to your weapon before you hit the streets.
- It comes with a sliding safety door over the fire button so that you don’t accidentally misfire. I personally like it because it’s better to be safe than sorry, but if you’re not well practiced with your weapon, it could get in the way.
- With a hefty price tag, coupled with replacement cartridges, the Taser Bolt can quickly become an expensive purchase.
Note: If you prefer a more pistol type of design, the Taser Pulse is also good option. Its features and build quality are almost identical and they’re comparable in price as well.
Curious about the effects of a Taser on your attacker? Check out this video of military police getting tased:
Although the Taser Bolt is my top choice, I realize that it’s not cheap. For those unwilling or unable to spend as much on a Taser, here are the next best options, in my opinion:
The Taser Strikelight
The Taser Strikelight is more affordable than the Taser Pulse and still a good option as a self defense weapon.
– The Taser Strikelight is a flashlight/taser hybrid, which is especially useful if you get into a sticky situation at night.
– It comes with a rechargeable battery that you can plug into a wall outlet.
– At .6 lbs, it’s a little heavier than the Taser Bolt, but still small enough to be your daily carry.
– The flashlight must be turned on to use the taser. This could possibly lead to some fumbling during an attack.
– It only offers close range capabilities, so you will not be able to stop an attacker from a distance.
Check out Axon’s promotional video on the Strikelight for more info:
Vipertek VTS-989Coming in at the lower end of the price scale, the Vipertek VTS-989 is the best option out there for those of you on a budget.
– With 230 million volts, the Vipertek is one of the most powerful stun guns in its price range.
– It comes with a built in flashlight which will come in handy when you’re out and about at night.
– It comes with a rechargeable battery that you can plug into a wall charger.
– The shock plates on the sides are charged, which means that if someone tries to take it from you, they’ll receive a high voltage shock.
– Since the shock plates on the sides are also charged, this means you could shock yourself if you’re not careful.
– The battery can only be charged within the gun, meaning you can’t leave it out to charge if you have young children running around.
Your overall self defense plan
First thing’s first, however. Having a personal self defense plan can be the difference between being a survivor or being a statistic.
A personal self defense plan should consist of the following:
- Situational awareness. Stay aware of what is happening around you at all times. This way you’ll be able to identify and stay away from potential threats.
- Knowing when to fight or flight. It’s always better to avoid a confrontation if possible. If you have the opportunity to run away from a shady situation, do it! Don’t be afraid to trust your gut. Your safety is more important.
- A self defense weapon. You should always carry some kind of self defense weapon everywhere you go. Make sure that it is easily accessible so that you’re not fumbling for it in the middle of an attack and make sure it is small enough to carry with you everywhere you go.
For the average person who is not ready or willing to own a gun, non lethal self defense weapons are a great alternative.
I like to think of it as a form of insurance. You may not always need it, but when you do you’ll be glad it’s there! Electroshock weapons such as stun guns, tasers, and stun batons are quickly on the rise because of their effectiveness, portability, and ease of use.
What does an electric shock device do?
Electric shock weapons are an increasingly popular form of non lethal self defense. Due to their accessibility and reliability, they are used worldwide by both the police force and average civilians.
Although the charge can be delivered in several different ways, electroshock weapons essentially shoot a current of around 50,000 volts of electricity towards the assailant. This may seem incredibly dangerous, but in reality only about 1,200 volts reach the body of the attacker.
These 1,200 volts are, however, enough to cause the muscles in the human body to involuntarily contract, rendering the assailant immobile. The shock will stop an attacker in his tracks, but it won’t do any lasting damage.
What kind of electric shock weapons are there?
Electroshock weapons are available to the average person in 3 forms: tasers, stun guns, and stun batons. All 3 are useful in subduing an assailant, but their effectiveness depends on your personal self defense style.
Tasers are the most popular form of electroshock weapon.
Commonly seen on TV, civilian versions shoot two probes up to 15 feet to deliver an electrical current of up to 50,000 volts (police versions have a longer range).
Stun guns are quickly becoming popular due to their effectiveness in close range situations. All it takes is one touch to incapacitate your attacker, and they come in all shapes and sizes.
Stun batons are good for home defense due to their longer reach. They deliver an electrical shock through the top part of the power unit.
Nobody wants to be attacked, but it could happen to any of us at any time. Here’s my advice:
- Make sure you have a self defense plan,
- Get some good, effective martial arts training, and
- Buy a high quality self defense weapon that works the way you need it to.
Buying an electric shock self defense weapon is one of the most effective ways to make sure you stay safe no matter where you go.
Got another recommendation? Post it in the comments below!